The Seton Curriculum is founded on our core principles: ambition, community and excellence.
We want all of our children to be ambitious for their futures and to have the desire, belief and confidence to make the most of every learning opportunity.
We aim to provide the children of Seton School with an inspirational curriculum which ignites a passion for life-long learning. We determine to expose them to a world of learning beyond their own locality and experiences and to encourage a deep sense of curiosity about the wider world. We encourage our children to `Think Big'. We want our children to develop memorable networks of powerful knowledge, from which they can continue to grow.
At the heart of our curriculum is a determination to promote children's personal development and to support them to become responsible and caring citizens. Our curriculum provides us with meaningful opportunities to link with others and we embrace these possibilities. We learn with and alongside our community, developing positive values together.
Through relevant and inspirational lessons, we hope to equip our children with the knowledge, skills and attitudes which will `open doors' and lead them to have happy, successful futures.
HumankindUnderstanding what it means to be human and how human behaviour has shaped the world.
ProcessesUnderstanding the many dynamic and physical processes that shape the world.
CreativityUnderstanding the creative process and how everyday and exceptional creativity can shape the world.
InvestigationUnderstanding the importance of investigation and how this has led to significant change in the world.
MaterialsUnderstanding the properties of all matter, living and non-living.
NatureUnderstanding the complexities of the plant and animal species that inhabit the world.
PlaceUnderstanding the visual, cultural, social, and environmental aspects of places around the world.
ComparisonUnderstanding how and why things are the same or different.
SignificanceUnderstanding why significant people, places, events and inventions matter and how they have shaped the world.
ChangeUnderstanding why and how things have changed over time.
Our vision is for all of our children to have the ambition, knowledge, skills and confidence they will need to succeed (now and in the future) in our rapidly changing world.
The key principles which inform our vision and guide everything we do are:
AMBITION, COMMUNITY and EXCELLENCE.
We believe that ambition is the key to successful futures. We have a relentless determination to expose and immerse our children in a culture of ambition with the expectation that everyone can succeed, regardless of their starting points. We exemplify and insist on a can-do attitude for our children, our staff and our governors, striving for excellence in everything we do.
• We are all ambitious learners. We take pride in being part of a community of learners. Our inspirational curriculum, delivered through excellent teaching, promotes a thirst for knowledge and a sense of curiosity; sparking new interests and encouraging a passion for life-long learning.
• We are ambitious readers. We are a Reading School. We surround our children with high quality literature and exceptional reading opportunities to foster a love of reading which will open doors to a world of possibilities.
• We are ambitious for our future careers. We recognise that many of the career opportunities our children will choose from may be very different to those currently available, so explicitly teaching behaviours for learning and equipping our children with the problem-solving skills and dispositions, resilience and flexibility to transfer into work-place skills is a core aspect of our curriculum.
• We are ambitious for our children’s mental health and well-being. We know that children’s mental health is a crucial aspect of their well-being and their ability to make personal and academic progress. We are proud of our proactive approach to promoting positive mental health and to supporting difficulties at the earliest stage. • We are ambitious for our physical health. We recognise the importance of setting good habits for physical health and we prioritise daily physical activity combined with exceptional opportunities for competitive sport. • We are ambitious citizens. We promote a sense of responsibility to strengthen links within our school, our local and wider community; welcoming our place in a modern, multi-cultural, challenging world.
• We are ambitious for Seton’s future. We embrace innovation. We are forward-thinking and responsive to emerging research evidence, which directs our choices and guides our improvements. Our school will never stand still and determines to be restless in its pursuit of excellence.
Ambition is about opening minds as well as opening doors.
Our curriculum will give children the opportunity to:
|• experience the challenge and enjoyment of learning|
|• develop curiosity about the world they live in|
|• develop a rich and deep subject knowledge|
|• develop and demonstrate their creativity|
|• understand the purpose and value of their learning and see its relevance to their past, present and future|
|• develop an appreciation of career pathways and opportunities|
|• develop a sense of community and an appreciation of their responsibilities as citizens of the modern world|
|• learn within a coherent and progressive framework|